Saturday, June 02, 2007

Memorial Day Camp Weekend

Last weekend was "Memorial Day" in the U.S., which in theory is like Canada's Remembrance Day, except instead of solemn remembrance of the horrors of war and the sacrifice of compatriots... they have a three-day weekend and get drunk around the barbecue. I'm not even kidding. Be that as it may, I wore my poppy last November, so last weekend Laura and I headed down to summer camp in Maine, for Newfound/Owatonna's Memorial day cleanup weekend. (Here's the Flickr album.) We rented a car and made a road trip out of it, complete with stops for milkshakes and onion rings at Colebrook, NH's Wilderness Restaurant, and North Waterford, ME's Tut's a.k.a Melby's. I spent a good part of the weekend feeding brush and logs into a wood chipper with former camper Ricky Stein, John Sparkman, and Owatonna's new director Brandon Frank. It was very very woodsy, I assure you. We also played some Scrabble, rode in Pete's pickup, and put the docks in down at the boathouse, which meant going for more than one dunk in the just-swimmable waters of Long Lake. It wasn't that bad, really, you just wouldn't want to hang out in there all afternoon. And how could I spend a weekend at camp, and not go in at least once? (Unless it was this weekend.) I won't work the regular session at camp this year, although I was very tempted to change my mind this weekend, but I'll be down there again in just 2 1/2 short months for family camp, as always. I'm pretty much counting the days already.
Today's song is Outside of a Small Circle of Friends, by Phil Ochs. Tonight's evening activity is my 10-year high school reunion in Saint Lambert. Party on.
Outside a Small Circle of Friends (powered by ODEO)

2 comments:

Alice said...

haha... i actually DO have my comments still hooked up to notify my email ;-) i may actually bring the blog back. it's taking a lot of effort to overcome a year of laziness though..

Sunshinelife13 said...

Hey! It's Madeline Hardy from Family Camp!!!! I have a blog too where i write and put all my songs check it out!!
PS: Nice selection of songs!