Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Book Shopping in Vientiane

I'm back to old purchasing habits, it seems. These make up only a little more than half the language books I've bought in Laos in the past 3 days. I bought these on my first night here (Saturday) when I was wandering around looking for an Indian restaurant I'd eaten at over a year ago, on my last visit. Instead, I came across a Chinese bookstore, which was stocked with mostly DVDs, actually. In the back, however I found the jackpot, and bought:
  • a used Chinese-English dictionary
  • 4 leveled Chinese writers, for schoolchildren (and me) to practice writing their characters, and
  • a Chinese-Laotian phrasebook! Awesome! A Chinese-Laotian phrasebook!
My other books are a secret for now, since I'm not going to dig them out to remember what they are, and since one of them's a gift. Oh wait, no, I remembered:
  • A Laotian alphabet book (my second; those are always fun)
  • A Laotian songbook (more exclamation points probably belong here, but I'll explore it first to see if it lives up to its promise), and
  • two secret books. Also bilingual.

No comments: