Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Stars in Bendigo

So here's something that seems like a non-sequitur, but my life has been an unbroken series of events, I swear, so it's not. It's just the rarity of my updates that make it seem that way. I'm in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. I still live in Bangkok, I'm just here on vacation for a few days.
At any rate, there are many more stars visible here than either in Bangkok, Montreal or Melbourne (to which I've also been introduced) and although this is my first time in the southern hemisphere (!) and I'd like to be able to talk about how amazing it was to look up at the night sky and see the different (or upside down) constellations in the southern heavens.... the truth is that I don't know the constellations in the north well enough to notice the difference. So, I admit it, the stars look exactly the same to me down here :(

1 comment:

Cameron L. Martindell said...

I remember my first trip south of the equator. I flew overnight from LA to Sydney. I was sitting on the right side, or north side, of the plane and looking out my window I watched the big dipper set. I knew it was the last time I'd see that distinctive constellation for the next year while I lived Downunder. Remind me at camp to point some stars out to you. They're great at camp.