Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hong Kong with Laura

My last stop in Asia was Hong Kong. I flew down to Guangzhou, took the train across the border, and spent 10 fun-filled, well-fed, brightly-lit and occasionally awestruck days being shown all around Hong Kong by Laura, who had been working there for 2 months and rooming at Hong Kong Chinese University in the New Territories. One of our highlights was hiking out to a secluded beach in 大浪灣 Tai Long Wan (pictured right). I know - I wasn't aware there were secluded beaches in Hong Kong, either, but the New Territories hold many secrets for the intrepid. Language points: I was all messed up while I was there. Almost everybody I met spoke Cantonese as a mother tongue, but I always had to guess whether their second was English or Mandarin, because a lot of times they knew one but not the other. In the end, they seemed to be about equally useful, English for stores and restaurants, and Mandarin in taxis, small shops, and off Hong Kong island. You know... rule of thumb. I didn't take that many pictures, but the ones I have are all here on Flickr. You'll see that they're a little more quiet-Hong-Kong than skyscraping-metropolis-HK pictures, but if you want those, Laura took plenty of beautiful ones, here.

No comments: