Sunday, November 30, 2008

Noises in the Night (Protest at the Airport)

Monday, Nov 31, 3AM.
I just heard an explosion of some sort as I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep. The PAD protesters have been occupying both airports in Bangkok for some days now, and pressure has been mounting for the government to clear them out, so while the noise could have been anything, my first thought was of the airport. And I realized as I thought of what might be happening right now (tomorrow's news will tell, but it doesn't change the point) that I need to embrace the protesters more in my thought. I've been thinking of them as, in a sense, spoiled: anti-universal-suffrage activists (authoritarian royalists) who have been running wild in the city with almost no police intervention, and now on the 4th or 5th day they've been holding the airport, as the country has been losing truckloads of money in tourist revenue every day because of them... well I'd been eager for the police to break it up. I felt like in any other country in the world they would have been evicted by force on the first day, and that at very least a little tear gas would be an extremely restrained and appropriate response. I realize now though, that what's important is that I be praying for the safety of the protesters and the police and the army all together. And to do that I need to let go of my feelings in any direction on the protesters' actions, and remember that not a hair on the head of a single person at that airport needs to be harmed for this to be resolved peacefully*.

Psalm 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity.
הִנֵּה מַה טוֹב וּמַה נָּעִים שֶׁבֶת אָחִים גַּם יַחַד

*Also, I should remember that Thai politics is none of my business, but praying for humanity is mine and everone's.

3 comments:

Johnny Lee said...

Hey Matt,
Are you all right? We've been worried about you.

Is everything ok in Thailand? Since Chinese government has already shipped many Chinese from Thailand back to China, are you also planning a tomporary move out of Thai?

Anyway, take care of yourselves and be safe. :)

Regards,
Johnny

Alice said...

i've been following the thailand headlines these past few days... i was wondering if you were close enough to the airport to be directly affected by everything. crazy times abound right now. hope you are keeping safe.

Marina Byquist said...

I love the change of thinking... this is how you are there to bless!