Sunday, January 20, 2008

My passport's out of pages

Spring Festival (春节) is almost here in China, and I plan on travelling back to Vietnam (where they call it Tet, instead of 春节). Problem though: my passport is out of pages, and I don't have much time left. Here's the e-mail I just wrote to the nearest Canadian consulate, in Chongqing (重庆). I'll let you know how it turns out (or if you're travelling too, and looking for advice, just e-mail me).
=====
Hello.
My name's Matthew Vaughan, I'm a Canadian citizen, 27, living
temporarily in China (Chengdu) on a 1-year Z visa.
I plan on travelling abroad during Spring Festival, but have just
realized that I have only one remaining blank page in my passport, and
that won't be enough for the required exit-entry stamps.

I know you can't add pages to a passport anymore, so I'd like to know
what the quickest option is for renewing my passport. I can travel to
ChongQing in person in these next few days if necessary. Also, my visa
was just renewed by the PSB this week. If I renew my passport, can the
Chinese visa be switched over, or will it be invalidated along with my
current passport?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Matthew Vaughan
Chengdu, Sichuan, China
=====

No comments: