Saturday, October 04, 2008

Elections in Bangkok: Metta Temchamnarn

It's election time for the governor of Bangkok.*
I was in the fairly quiet neighborhood of my hostel (Thewet) eating some fried corn balls on the street the other day when I got my hand shook by candidate #3: Metta Temchamnarn. He wasn't dressed in all those military whites up above, though. He was pretty much exactly as he looks in the bottom-right corner, complete with scarf, cap, and jazzman shades. The jazzman shades alone are almost enough to make me wish I could vote for him. Also wearing jazzman shades was his M.C., chatting up the passers-by, just hanging out the passenger side of the campaign ride, tryin to holla at me. For all I know, every candidate has an M.C. riding shotgun in their truck, but I seriously doubt that they're as cool as this one. His man is also clearly getting blessed by some kind of fairies (see above), and has a dragon over his shoulder where cartoon characters usually have the good angel whispering advice. So again, clearly, he's the candidate who gets advice from a dragon**. (Sweet). Unfortunately, after reading up a little on the elections in the Bangkok Post, it turns out that, sadly, he's still a minor candidate. I just don't get it. What's not to like?

*Bangkok Special Administrative Area has a governor, not a mayor. I know it's hard to accept, but apparently that's just how they roll around here.
**And a phoenix?

1 comment:

Marina Byquist said...

dude i love it! i think it may be election time here too, except nobody can tell me any info about it- its like no one cares! are people politically minded there? also, i love hearing you sing on here!