Saturday, October 11, 2008

Lunch with Tito

On Friday I had lunch with Tito, a Chilean friend I rarely see. We met in 2005 in Havana when we were both on vacation there, but we haven't gotten together since then, since he's been in Santiago and I've been in Chengdu. He travels a lot, and we had a missed connection in 2006 when he actually visited Quebec and I had already left for China. So this past month he was travelling through Japan and Southeast Asia, and I got the chance to have lunch with him here in Bangkok, to meet Álvaro, his boyfriend, and they both got to meet Megan. We ate at Mai Kaidee's, a vegetarian restaurant in Bangkok with 3 locations and Thai-owned, but frequented almost exclusively by foreigners. Vegetarian food is vegetarian food, though. I'd give an exclusively vegetarian restaurant my custom even if the food was mediocre (and have) but at Mai Kaidee's it's delicious.
It was good to see Tito, good to finally meet Álvaro, and wonderful to have lunch with a friend, since Megan and I have been too busy job-and-apartment hunting to make any new friends yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, Always great to read your blog. Totally stoked that you are living in the land of elephants and bukets. Last year I lived in a palapa on the side of the mountain on Phi Phi teaching mixed gas diving to hot Swedish girls, well until my girlfriend showed up, then my clients (mysteriously) were limited to moderately hot Canadians and dudes. Anything I can do to help please let me know. Back in Colorado right now but look forward to future adventures. Always in admiration of your thirst for knowledge and gain solace in the fact that you will always be one step weirder than me. Z-money All-star

Marina Byquist said...

man oh man---- makes me wish i met the Tito in Chile....