Saturday, August 15, 2009

Kuwait City Airport



I found they have free wireless in the Kuwait City airport. So that's where I'm posting this from. I didn't expect to be able to do anything internetty for at least another day. In an hour I board my next flight, which is Kuwait to New York (JFK). The Bangkok-Kuwait leg was painless, all told. Kuwait Airways is no Cathay Pacific in terms of luxury, but it's perfectly adequate.
Flying low over the little bit of Kuwait that we did, coming in from the ocean, the view was exactly what you'd expect if you weren't trying too hard to be creative. Lots of sand and not much else. Trucks and low buildings. Everything seemed sand-coloured or dirty white. There were long straight and seemingly interminable highways, a few olive-coloured trees, huge tanks that look like the kind of thing one takes surveillance photos of, and towers with flares burning at the top. I don't know what those flames are called. Oil flares? I think they burn there on purpose. They must, but I really don't know why.
I chipped my guitar somewhere along the way, I'm not sure how. Doesn't matter. The book all fuzzy down there is "Jésus le Dieu qui riait" by Didier Décoin. I've been halfway through it for going on three years now and so I thought I might finally finish it on this flight.

1 comment:

Alice said...

look at you, all posty mcposterson here! :-)

hmm, kuwait wasn't especially high on my places-to-travel-before-i-die list, but i think it just got knocked down even further...