Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday Mornings

IMG_0363.JPG
Every Sunday I do two things: go to church and go to work. These are some photos from the first part of my Sunday. The photo above was taken from my balcony. The street to the right of the building under construction is Rama IV. Right down that way lies Sathorn road, and the Bangkok Christian Science Society.
IMG_0366.JPG
I walk out my apartment, round the corner and wait by the 7-eleven. 7-elevens in Thailand really deserve their own post. They're everywhere.
IMG_0365.JPG
This is the 71. I don't tke the 71. I don't know where it goes, either. I take the 22, the 45, the 46, the 115 or the 116. Today, on the other hand, I had made myself late by dawdling with picture-taking, so I had to take a taxi and I was late for church anyway.
IMG_0368.JPG
Left to Right: Anchalee, Markee and Mayurie. They're basically half the congregation right there. It's a cozy little group, as you might have guessed.
IMG_0379.JPG
A wealthy Chinese resident of Bangkok was asked by the King at the time to build this canal. He did it, and so the canal was named after him. Not after his Chinese name, though, but after an honorary name which the King gave him after he'd built it: Luang Sathon Racha Yuk (หลวงสาทรราชายุกต์)
IMG_0381.JPG
Sathon Canal. And Sathon Road. It's a busy road, a famous road, and gives its name to an expensive business district, but it's not the most awesome place just to hang out. Still, there are good things nearby, like Lumpini park (see below). If you for some reason need to know more specifially where on Sathon the Christian Science Society is, you can click the photo to take you to my Flickr set where it's explained.
IMG_0409.JPG
Bus stop by the Rama IV gate to Lumpini Park. This is how I get to work after church. The route takes me right by my apartment building, but I never have time to stop off there. For awesome monsters of Lumpini park, see tomorrow's post. And that's my Sunday morning in photos.

No comments: